The BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance) industry has the largest number of IT service consumers. Direct banking application that handles confidential financial data. It is imperative that all operations performed by banking software must run smoothly and without any errors. Banking software performs various functions such as transferring and depositing money, requesting balances, transaction history, withdrawals, etc.Checking on the banking application ensures that these activities are not only performed well. but also protected from hackers.
What is the concept of domain in testing?
The domain is where the software testing project is created. When we talk about software projects or development, this term is often mentioned. For example: Domain for insurance, Domain for bank, Domain for retail, Domain for telecommunication, etc.
Usually, while developing any type of project domain, specialist in that field will be searched. A domain expert is good at that field and he can know the inside and out of a product or application.
Why do you need knowledge of domain?
Domain knowledge is important and necessary to test any software product and it has its own benefits such as:
Domain knowledge about banking – Introduction
The banking sector concept is huge and basically, it is classified into two areas
- Traditional banking industry
- Field-based banking services
Below is a table of services these two banking sub-sectors include
* Traditional banking industry includes:
- Core bank
- Business Banking
- Retail bank
* Field-based banking services include:
- Loan amount
- Commercial finance
- Private bank
- Consumer Finance
- Islamic Bank
- Distribution / delivery channel
Based on the scope of your project, you may need to test one or all of the above services. Before you begin testing, make sure you have enough background on the service being tested.
Features of the banking application
Before you begin testing, it’s important to note that the standard features are expected of any banking application. Therefore, you should be equipped with the knowledge of testing to be able to meet the necessary requirements during the testing process.
A standard banking application must meet all of the following characteristics:
- It will support thousands of concurrent user sessions
- A banking application should integrate with many other applications such as transaction accounts, utility for paying bills, credit cards, etc.
- It should process transactions quickly and securely
- It should include large storage system.
- To solve customer problems, need to have high audit capabilities
- It will handle complex workflows
- Need to support users on multiple platforms (Mac, Linux, Unix, Windows)
- It will support users from multiple locations
- It will support multilingual users
- It will support users on different payment systems (VISA, AMEX, MasterCard)
- It will support many service areas (Loans, Retail Banking, etc.)
- Foolproof disaster management mechanism
Test phases in banking applications
The different testing stages include:
- Requirement analysis: It is done by bussiness analyst; The requirements for a specific banking application are collected and recorded
- Review requirements: Quality analysts, business analysts and development leaders are involved in this task. The required documentation is reviewed at this stage and cross-checked to ensure that it does not affect the workflow.
- Bussiness requirement documents: Bussiness requirement documents are prepared by quality analysts, in which all business requirements are considered covered.
- Check database: This is the most important part of the banking application test. This test is performed to ensure data integrity, data loading, data migration, stored procedures and functional validation, rules testing, etc.
- Integration testing: In Integration testing, all the components developed are integrated and validated
- Function test
- Security check: It ensures that the software does not have any security errors. During test preparation, the QA team should include both negative and positive test scripts to break into the system and report it before any unauthorized person accesses it. While to prevent hacking, banks should also perform multi-layer access authentication such as one-time passwords. For Security Check, automation tools like IBM AppScan and HPWebInspect are used while for Manual Testing tools like Proxy Sniffer, Paros proxy, HTTP clock, etc.
- Usability test: It ensures that people with different abilities will be able to use the system as normal users. For example, ATMs have hearing aids and braille for people with disabilities
- User acceptance test: This is the final testing phase conducted by the end user to ensure application’s compliance with the real world scenario.
Some examples in banking application test
Security is the main factor for any banking application. Therefore, during the preparation of the test, the QA team should include both positive and negative test scripts to sneak into the system and report any vulnerabilities before any unauthorized individual has access. in it. It not only involves writing negative test cases but can also include destructive testing.
The following are general test cases to test any banking application:
Sample test cases
- Verify admin login with valid and invalid data
- Verify admin login without data
- Verify all admin links
- Verify administrator change password with valid and invalid data
- Verify administrator changes password without data
- Verify administrator changes password with existing data
- Admin logout verification
For a new branch:
- Create a new branch with valid and invalid data
- Create a new branch without data
- Create a new branch with existing branch data
- Verify reset and cancel options
- Update branch with valid and invalid data
- Updating branch has no data
- Update branch with existing branch data
- Verify cancellation option
- Verify delete branch with and without dependencies
- Verify branch search option
For the new Rule:
- Create a new rule with valid and invalid data
- Create a new rule without data
- Confirm the new rule with existing data
- Verify rule description and rule type
- Verify cancellation and reset options
- Verify deletion rule with and without dependencies
- Verify the links in the rule details page
For customers and visitors
- Verify all links of visitors or customers
- Confirm customer login with valid and invalid data
- Confirm customer login without data
- Confirm bank login without data
- Verify bank login with valid or invalid data
For new users
- Create new users with valid and invalid data
- Create new users with no data
- Create new users with existing branch data
- Verify cancellation and reset options
- Update users with valid and invalid data
- Update users with existing data
- Verify cancellation option
- Verify user deletion
Challenges in Testing Domain Names & Minimize
Testers may encounter challenges during testing domain banking:
Challenge 1: Access to production data and copy it as test data, so testing is a challenge
- Ensure that test data meets regulatory requirements and guidelines
- Maintain data security by following techniques such as data hiding, aggregated test data, test system integration, etc.
- The biggest challenge in the test banking system is in the process of moving the system from the old system to the new system such as testing all loops, methods, plans.
- In addition, the way data will be fetched, uploaded and transferred to the new system after migration
- Make sure data migration test is complete
- Ensure the Regression Test cases are executed on old and new systems and the results match.
- There may be circumstances where the requirements are not well documented and may result in functional gaps in the test plan
- Many non-functional requirements are not fully documented and the inspector does not know whether or not to check
Solution: Testing should participate in the project right from the requirements analysis phase and should actively review the business requirements.
Challenge 4: The most important point is to check if the above system complies with the desired policies and procedures
Solution: Check the compliance policy or regulation to be done
Challenge 5: Range and timelines increase when the banking application is integrated with other applications such as internet or Mobile bank.
Workaround: Make sure the time budget for the Integrity Check is accounted for if your banking application has multiple external interfaces.
The banking sector is the most vulnerable area to cyber theft and to protect software that requires accurate testing. This guide provides a clear idea of what it takes for bank domain checking and its importance. You need to understand that:
- Most banking software is developed on Mainframe and Unix
- Testing helps reduce the problems that can be encountered during software development
- Proper testing and compliance with industry standards, saving companies from penalties
- Good practice helps develop good results, reputation and more business for companies
- Both manual and automatic testing are valid and usable respectively